In Episode 8 of The Soul’s Work Podcast, Janice and Phil Tieu — engineer, doggy daycare owner, musician, photographer, videographer, among other things! — dive into the topic of valuing time and how to prioritize what’s really important to us every day.
Phil also shares how he’s learned to manage the emotional highs and lows of living with bipolar disorder, by practicing Stoicism.
Don’t forget to stay tuned to the end of the episode for my reflections on our conversation.
Listen to the podcast on:
Sign up to become a Soul Community insider and get exclusive updates here.
In this episode:
- How the Stoicism philosophy helps Phil to focus on what’s important and take action (and leave the rest!)
- Phil shares his experience living with type 2 bipolar disorder and receiving his diagnosis
- How Phil has learned to balance himself during the emotional highs and lows of bipolar disorder, by practicing Stoicism
- Putting things into perspective: On valuing time when you only have one life to live.
- Phil’s other decision-making tools: “What’s the math?” and the 80/20 rule
- Your soul’s work: “Remember death.”
- The Daily Stoic (Ryan Holiday)
- “Lifestyle Design – Creating More Time for Business and Fulfillment” (@PhilZero on Youtube)
- Fight Club (Chuck Palahniuk)
- Ego is the Enemy: The Fight to Master Our Greatest Opponent (Ryan Holiday)
- Cours d’économie politique (Vilfredo Pareto). Learn more about the Pareto principle here: “Understanding Pareto’s Principle – The 80-20 Rule” (TheBalance.com)
- “The Tail End” (Tim Urban, WaitButWhy.com)