In Episode 3 of The Soul’s Work Podcast, Janice opens up about how drinking and imagining violent scenarios in her head reinforced an avoidant response to fear (and y’all, she had a lot of fear). The good news? It is absolutely possible to re-train our brains to respond to fear with more courageous responses (and collect “courage bullets” in the process!). Janice shares her letter to Fear Voice in her quest to develop a different, more compassionate relationship with fear — because fear is here to stay!
This is the second episode of a three-part series on Core Values.
Listen to the podcast on:
Sign up to become a Soul Community insider and get exclusive updates here.
In this episode:
- Janice opens up about her past fearful life — stage fright, fear of being in a relationship, fear of speaking up; if there was a fear, she had it!
- How Janice’s defence mechanisms of drinking and imagining violent scenarios reinforced an avoidant reaction to fearful emotions
- Collecting “courage bullets”: re-training our brain to react to fear with more courageous responses
- Why getting to the actual root cause of our fear is an important next step
- Developing a different relationship with Fear — because it’s here to stay (it loves us!)
- Janice shares her letter to Fear
- Your soul’s work: Collect a courage bullet; write your own “Dear Fear” letter
- “The amygdala – how to reverse the cycle” (It’sJustAFeeling.co.uk)
- You might also enjoy reading: “Fear in the Brain” (DiscoverMagazine.com)
- Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear (Elizabeth Gibert)
- Also check out Elizabeth’s interview with Marie Forleo on “Fear, Authenticity and Big Magic.” An absolute must-watch for creatives!
- “Dear Fear …” (JaniceHoCreative.com)
- “Shonda Rhimes: Change Your Life By Saying ‘Yes’ (And ‘No’ Too)” (Oprah’s SuperSoul Conversations)