In Episode 14 of The Soul’s Work Podcast, Janice and her guest Rebecca Lam dive into a raw and open discussion about music, spirituality, mental illness, perfectionism, vulnerability, leadership, and so much more. Don’t miss this insightful and honest conversation!
Listen to the podcast on:
Sign up to become a Soul Community insider and get exclusive updates here.
In this episode:
- What inspired Rebecca to pursuing her life passion of singing.
- Hear Rebecca sing part of a song she wrote for her upcoming wedding!
- How focusing on the process of music has helped Rebecca with her anxiety.
- Rebecca’s advice on how singers can be more present in their singing versus being overly outcome-focused.
- Rebecca’s experience living with OCD, anxiety, and depression, and growing up with mental illness and abuse in the family.
- How getting diagnosed and going on medication has enabled Rebecca to live her life fully.
- How talking and sharing about mental illness can break down shame and stigma.
- The difference between perfectionism and striving for excellence.
- What it has taken for Rebecca to become more vulnerable in life and her relationships.
- The freeing truth: People don’t care about us as much as we think they do!
- Rebecca’s next challenge: becoming more vulnerable with herself — which all starts with greater self-love and sense of self-worth.
- Navigating through the self-doubts that came with being a young, Asian woman in a leadership role.
- Telling a different story than what has been historically said about and expected from Asian women.
- The kind of leader Rebecca wants others to remember her for.
- “The Gifts of Singing” (SpencerWelch.com)
- “FTM Transgender Interview With Vocal Coach REBECCA LAM” (Romeo, YouTube)
Connect with Rebecca:
- YVR Pop Choir: yvrpopchoir.com
- Website: rebeccalammusic.com
- Facebook: @rebeccalammusic
- Instagram: @rebeccalammusic